Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Community and Unity...Why it's More Important Now Than Ever

Back in November, I had to grab some oil for my Saturn at Walmart. When I went to purchase the oil at the cash register, I seen above me a TV with Janet Napolitano on it talking about "See Something, Say Something." Here is the video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfmDjc24jYw). First thing that came to mind was "Why is this even here?" Seeing this didn't seem to sit right. So I went home and started doing some research on why this is even put up there.

An idea hit me as soon as I sat down. I decided to look up World War 2 Germany. Why would Homeland Security tell me to "See Something, Say Something" when this is common knowledge. Isn't Homeland Security about stopping terrorists? Why would terrorists go to Walmart? Then it hit me...this is something Adolf Hitler used to gain power and control the masses. This was promoting normal everyday people to spy on one another. Now why would we want that? It's one thing to be suspicious of a neighbor, it's another trying to spy on them, believing they are a terrorist. This just isn't right. It's bad enough we're getting molested in airports now by the TSA, now we have to spy on our friends, co-workers, and neighbors?

As this information was hitting me like a ton of bricks, I remember the quote from George Washington "United we Stand, Divided We Fall." Isn't this spying thing dividing us? Because it sure does feel that way. Why would our own country want us divided? This doesn't make sense. In fact, what Homeland Security is doing is violating the Constitution. The TSA is already violating the 4th Amendment. Homeland Security is attacking the 1st Amendment by labeling protesting as "low-level terrorism." Here is the link of the ACLU sending a letter to Gail McGinn, Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness http://www.aclu.org/images/general/asset_upload_file89_39820.pdf). So it is quite disturbing that this government agency is blatantly bashing our Constitution and violating our rights.

It is more important than ever that we stand together. Forget this spying stuff! I believe everyone has a right to protest something they don't believe in. I protested against Senate Bill 510 last year (which eventually passed as HR 2751 http://www.gop.gov/bill/111/2/hr2571senateamedment) where it gives the FDA unlimited power. I recommend you read the bill the judge for yourself. If we allow the spying to continue, we will lose more and more of our freedoms. You are more likely to get hit by lightning or even win the lottery than get hit by a terrorist attack. We shouldn't live scared. Living in fear is wrong. To quote the movie Hellraiser..."Fear is the mind killer." We are frozen in our thoughts and incapable of free thinking when we are consumed by fear. If our Founding Fathers lived in fear, would we have this country today? If Christopher Columbus lived in fear, would we still believe the world is flat?

All I ask is to open your minds, realize the environment you're in, and come to the conclusion that Community and Unity is what makes us stronger. Living in fear is not the answer. Feel free to post your comments, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say. Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment